Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The "M" Word

Ok, so been pretty busy as of late.  I got engaged a few weekends ago and have been working with my bride to be on wedding stuff.  I miss brewing and need to brew another sometime soon.  Reason I bring up the wedding is I had an idea for a wedding favor.  I want to brew a Blood Orange Wheat beer and have the label list our names and date of the wedding for the 21+ crowd to enjoy.  So, since we're thinking a September 2012 wedding, I have a good long while to try and get good at this brew.  I also finished creating my homemade mash tun.  I replaced all of the brass parts I had original purchased with copper and stainless steel.  You would not believe how hard it was to find a 1/2" pipe tee in copper or stainless steel.  Found a stainless steel one online finally and had ordered it.  So, once I got back from my work trip last week, I finished putting together my mash tun with the new pieces.  So, as a recap.  I'm using a 50QT Coleman Extreme 5 rectangular cooler.  I took out the nozzle and replaced it with a 1/2" copper nipple, 1/2" ball valve, and 1/2" stainless steel tee (on the inside).  I left the original leak protector inside.  On the stainless tee I attached a 1/2" copper connector to both sides.  I also attached another 1/2" copper connect to the end of the ball valve.  Finally, I took a dishwasher hose, removed the plastic and added copper wire inside to prevent from crushing.  I secured it all with stainless steel hose clamps.  So, when all is said and done, I have a make shift mash tun.  After buying brass and then replacing, I could've just bought a real mash tun setup!  UGH!  So, I only have capabilities of partial mash right now since I only have a 5 QT pot and no propane burner.  I also would like to get into using yeast starters, but have yet to really dive into how they work and how to prepare them.  Only watched a few videos online.   I'm hesitant to start trialing my Blood Orange Wheat until I am at a full All Grain Setup.  I guess my train of thought is why try and get good at a brewing style (Partial Mash) if I'm going to be changing it soon anyway to All Grain.  I will be going to my local homebrew shop tonight to see the cost of some of the other pieces in my setup and maybe get a partial mash recipe to hold me over for now.  It's an expensive hobby to start, but once I have a full All Grain setup, it's just ingredients I need.  It will save a lot of money from buying beer.  5 Gallon batch of homebrew, depending on style obviously, is $40.  5 Gallons worth of local good beer is $60.  Saving some dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment